What is a Student & Family Specialist?
The Student & Family Specialist (SFS) supports students in achieving success and growth in their social and emotional development. In addition, we provide support and guidance to parents and staff in creating and maintaining a school environment that fosters learning and student achievement.
Each year services typically include:
- Individual support to students
- Crisis intervention services
- Educational student groups
- Parent education and support
- Community resources and referrals
- School-wide and classroom initiatives
We support students and families by focusing on a variety of topics including:
- Grief and loss
- Social and emotional learning
- Conflict resolution skills
- Divorce/changing-family situations
- Anxiety and stress
- Friendship skills
Students are referred to a Student & Family Specialist through teachers, our building principal, or their parents when there is a concern that a child's social and/or emotional needs are interfering with his/her academic performance.
Also, students may seek out support on their own by coming to talk with a Student & Family Specialist
We are here to help!