COMMUNITY USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
The Board of Education of Pinckney Community Schools recognizes that school facilities belong to the community. Therefore, it is their policy to encourage the use of these facilities by groups and organizations whose purposes and objectives contribute to the development of the school program or the school community.
The Board of Education also recognizes that the primary purpose of school facilities is to implement the instructional program for students. Community use of school facilities should not interfere with the instructional program.
Therefore, the Superintendent is charged with developing the Administrative Procedures and Fee Structure necessary to carry out this policy. The fee structure for facility use shall be adjusted annually and provide for the reimbursement of administrative and operational costs in excess of normal operating costs of school facilities.
Legal Reference: Revised School Code of 1996 – 380.11a and 380.1299
FACILITY RENTAL RATES EFFECTIVE 8-15-14
- Persons or groups who wish to use school facilities must complete a building rental application form.
- The school district shall collect payment of certain fees in advance. This includes the application processing fee, the utility/maintenance fee and the rental charges.
- Smoking in school buildings or on school grounds is not allowed at any time. Organizations using school facilities are responsible for complying with this regulation.
- Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, and other intoxicating substances will not be permitted on school property at any time.
- Decorations must be fireproof and shall be erected and taken down in a manner that is not destructive to school property. Decorations are subject to the approval of the building principal or Director of Community Education. The use of open flames, such as candles, is strictly forbidden.
- An adult must supervise children under the age of 18 at all times when the renting group is in a building or on school grounds for practice or during an event.
- All equipment and facilities to be used must be listed on the application.
- The use of any materials on floors or other parts of the building is strictly prohibited without specific approval in writing from the building principal or Director of Community Education. (i.e. tape on floors and walls, etc.)
- Use of stages, furniture and equipment must be arranged for in advance. Some set-up and clean up may be performed by members of the group using the facility provided responsible persons are listed on the application. The user group will pay for additional custodial services required for work not done satisfactorily. Arrangements must be made with the Community Education Office for use of any special or extra equipment.
- Buildings will normally be opened one-half hour before the scheduled program time and closed one-half hour after the scheduled end of the program unless other arrangements are made.
- Any group sponsoring an event for which admission is charged is cautioned to abide by regulations concerning Federal or State Taxes. The group is solely responsible for the payment of any taxes, which may be owed as a result of the use of district facilities or the charging of an admission fee.
- A school custodian shall be on duty whenever a facility is being used unless special provisions are established. He/she will render custodial assistance in handling furniture and equipment and will ensure that the facility is left in good order after the activity is over. Custodial overtime for clean up after an event will be charged against the group or organization at the regular overtime hourly and benefit rate.
- Responsibility for enforcement of rules and regulations concerning the use of school facilities rests with groups using said facilities. Any infractions of the above regulations may be grounds for refusing to grant subsequent requests for the use of school facilities. All outside parking regulations must be adhered to.
- Corridors, exits, and stairways must be free of obstructions at all times. Exits are to be lighted when facilities are in use. Members of the audience or spectators must never stand or sit so they block exits, aisleways or stairways. Facility capacities, as determined by the Fire Marshal, shall be observed.
- Gym shoes must be worn by all persons using gymnasium floors for any type of play or game activity. Persons dancing on gymnasium floors cannot wear shoes that would be injurious to the floor surface.
- The reservation application will be returned to the renting group once the reservation has been approved. Reservation permits are not transferable. Only the group whose name appears on the application shall be permitted to use the facilities as scheduled.
- Lavatories shall be open to groups using indoor facilities. Groups shall be responsible for the actions of their membership using all lavatory areas.
- Building custodians have been instructed that only in the case of extreme emergency are offices to be opened and/or telephones to be used. Groups are encouraged to use pay telephones.
- No food items of any type are to be used or consumed in school district facilities without the prior knowledge and consent of the building principal and/or Community Education Office.
- Pinckney Community Schools shall not be responsible for items lost, stolen or damaged by individuals or groups while using school facilities.
- Generally, on days when school is not in session due to emergency conditions (i.e. snow days, etc.) all previously scheduled activities may be canceled. The final decision for Class II and Class III group activities will rest with the Community Education Office.
- All items not specifically mentioned, dealing with “General Provisions” shall be subject to the interpretation of Pinckney Community Schools.
Groups Eligible for Facility Use:
Pinckney Community School District facilities may be used by the following classifications of groups:
Class I – General Description
- Any organized group or organization directly connected with Pinckney Community Schools (e.g. Community Education, School Athletic Program, Student Councils, PTO, School Clubs
- Employee groups conducting school or school related business, etc.).
Class II – General Description
- Any organized non-profit group or organization within the school district boundaries whose purposes are civic, culture, fraternal, religious, or recreational in nature (e.g. Co-sponsored Community Education activities, Scout Groups, Historical Society, Community Athletic Organizations (i.e. AYBT, AAU, HFAA, PHYBA), Neighborhood Association groups, Theatre groups).
Class III – General Description
- Any organization, which is not school related, including private, non-district and/or profit making groups whose interests are limited to the membership of said group (e.g. craft shows, art shows and recitals)
Facility Use by Class I Groups (see above for classification)
- A Class I group may be granted permission to use school facilities without charge if no fee or admission is charged for the activity. If a fee or admission is charged, then the school or sponsoring student organization will be required to pay any extra expenses necessary to stage the event, on a cost only basis.
- It will be the responsibility of the principal to sign the building usage request form for use of the above-mentioned areas and to inform the Community Education Office of evening or weekend use of school facilities by a student group or organization under his/her direction.
- School and student group activities, which are scheduled in conformity with the master activity calendar, will have priority over all other events.
- School employees, (upon request), may use school facilities (except swimming pools) before or after regular school hours for recreational or employment-related activities without charge provided no custodial overtime or other employee overtime is involved and provided such use does not conflict with Community Education programs and other scheduled groups.
- Groups such as the PTO and employee groups, etc. may be allowed to use facilities for regular meetings provided they meet at a time when custodial overtime or additional personnel is not required.
Facility Use by Class II Groups (see above for classification)
- There will be a rental fee charge for class II groups using the schools.
- Class II groups shall be responsible for paying for all custodial and kitchen help, technology personnel/equipment, sound/lighting technicians, and other additional personnel costs related to activities sponsored in school facilities beyond the hours those staffs are normally assigned. In addition, the group will pay a utility/maintenance charge. A yearly application fee must be paid to reserve the school facility each fiscal year.
- Class II groups will be required to observe all facility use rules and regulations as stated herein or designated by the building principal or administration.
- Class II groups may be required to purchase insurance coverage for activities sponsored in school facilities, if requested or required, by Pinckney Community Schools.
- Class II groups charging an admission fee to generate a profit for the group’s own benefit will incur an application fee, a rental fee, and utility/maintenance fee as determined by the nature of the event.
- If using the high school auditorium or the Jane Tasch Theatre, there will be an additional $.50 per ticket charge as an equipment replacement fee. This fee is to be paid to Pinckney Community Schools.
Facility Use by Class III Groups (see above for classification)
- A Class III group may be granted permission to use school facilities upon filling out a building usage request form and paying the rental fee, utility/maintenance fee, and the application-processing fee.
- Class III groups shall be responsible for paying all custodial, pool, technology personnel/equipment, sound/lighting technician, and cafeteria
- personnel and supervisory personnel costs related to activities sponsored in school facilities beyond the hours these staffs are normally assigned.
- Class III groups may be required to purchase insurance coverage for activities sponsored in school facilities, if requested or required, by Pinckney Community Schools.
- Class III groups are expected to observe all facility use rules and regulations as stated herein or as designated by the Administrator.
- If using the high school auditorium or the Jane Tasch Theatre, there will be an additional $.50 per ticket charge as an equipment replacement fee. This fee is paid to Pinckney Community Schools.
Fees and Charges for Use of School Facilities
These charges have been computed to cover costs in excess of normal operations.
- Cancellation Fee
- A cancellation-processing fee will be charged with groups classified as Class II and Class III. A charge of $50.00 will be levied for each canceled reservation.
- Facility Rental Fees
- In addition to the application processing fees, facility rental fees will be charged to all Class II and Class III groups for the use of school facilities. The Administrator will make exceptions to the facility rental charge. A facility rental deposit of $100 may be required prior to final approval of the requested dates. Requests canceled due to emergency situations will result in a full or pro-rata refund of rental fees paid or a re-scheduled, mutually agreed upon, date(s).
- Custodial Charges
- When a group or organization uses a facility during the time a custodian is normally on duty, the custodian will ensure that the facility is properly heated, that lights are turned on, and that doors are opened for the group’s use of the facility. If services of the custodian are requested in addition to the above and if the custodian is called away from his/her regular duties, then the group will be required to pay the current overtime and benefit rate for each hour or fraction thereof that he/she is obliged to work overtime due to services rendered. If a group uses a school facility at a time when a custodian is not normally on duty, then all of the custodian’s overtime for the period his/her services are required shall be charged to the renting group. Any other overtime including snowplowing of parking lots and sidewalks incurred will be charged to that group. The user shall not directly pay overtime to any school employee. All custodial charges will be based on the overtime provisions of the current custodial contract and will be billed by the Community Education Office after the scheduled facility use.
- Utility/Maintenance Fees
- A group or organization may incur a utility/maintenance usage fee. The fee will be determined by the facility being used. All Class II and III groups will incur an hourly utility/maintenance usage fee. Class I groups may incur an hourly utility/maintenance fee dependent upon the nature of the activity. (i.e. athletic tournaments on weekends, fundraisers, etc.)
- Pool Charges
- Groups requesting the use of the pool shall pay all custodial charges necessary to operate the pool including the appropriate charges for pool personnel needed, as well as, the appropriate utility/maintenance fee.
- Sound/Lighting Technician and Technology Personnel/Equipment
- Whenever a group uses the Jane Tasch Performing Arts Theatre or the High School auditorium, a Community Education technology person and/or sound/lighting technician(s) will be provided at cost, unless other arrangements have been made.
- Cafeteria Assistance
- When a group or organization needs to use a school cafeteria facility for the preparation of food other than general warming, a person from the cafeteria staff must be present unless other arrangements are approved through the Community Education Office. Cafeteria personnel assigned to cover cafeteria use will be paid per the overtime provisions of the current employment contract. The Community Education Office will bill charges after the scheduled facility use. A user shall not pay overtime directly to any cafeteria staff.
- Special Charges
- A charge of $40.00 will be made for transporting chairs from one building to another for Class II and Class III groups, plus staff time.
- A charge of $50.00 will be made for moving platforms, bleachers or other heavy equipment from one location to another, plus staff time.
- Arrangements for the use of public address systems, projectors, special lighting, etc. will be made at the facility where the program will occur. The Community Education Office will determine charges for the use of the equipment and operators.
- Use of wood floor gymnasiums may require the user group to provide a protective floor covering meeting the standards of the district. If the District provides a protective tarp, the rental cost is $100.00 per gymnasium.
- Non-Specified Charges
- The Community Education Director, in cooperation with the Business Office, may establish charges for use of facilities not defined herein or under unusual circumstances.
Purposes for Which Use of School Facilities May Not Be Granted
- Any individual, group or organization commonly recognized as promoting and advocating theories or doctrines intended to forcibly overthrow or undermine the government will not be permitted to use or rent school facilities.
- School facilities may not be used for any activity deemed to be a nuisance by the Administration.
- School facilities may not be used for moneymaking activities of an unlawful or doubtful nature. Moneymaking activities shall be confined to groups or organizations known to have a strong educational or youth assistance oriented program.
- No activity will be permitted which may cause damage beyond normal usage (i.e. use of bats and balls inside a building).
- No program or activity will be permitted which interferes with regular school programming.
Responsibilities of Principals and Custodians
- Building principals, supervisors, and custodians shall be responsible for determining whether groups using school facilities have adhered to these Administrative Procedures. They are to report to the Community Education Office any incident, which they feel, is not in the best interests of Pinckney Community Schools.
Approved 9/ 22 /05
FACILITY USE FEE SCHEDULE
FACILITY RENTAL RATES EFFECTIVE 8-15-14
|BLDG||ROOM||CLASS I||CLASS II||CLASS III||MAINTENANCE FEE - CLASS II||MAINTENANCE FEE - CLASS III|
|ALL||CLASSROOM||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$12.00/HR||$25.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$12.00 AN HOUR|
|ALL||MEDIA CTR||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$15.00/HR||$30.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$18.00 AN HOUR|
|ALL||PARKING LOT||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$150.00 PER DAY||$150.00 PER DAY||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|ELEM, PS & HS||ALL FIELDS except Stadiums||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$250 / FIELD PER MONTH||$350 / FIELD PER MONTH||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|ELEM||GYM/CAFETERIA||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$30.00/HR||$40.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|NAVIGATOR||GYM||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$45.00/HR||$60.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|NAVIGATOR||GYM- SINGLE COURT||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$25.00/HR||$30.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|NAVIGATOR||CAFETERIA||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$60.00/3 HRS $85 W/KITCHEN||$60.00/3 HRS $85 W/KITCHEN||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|PATHFINDER||GYM||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$45.00/HR||$60.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$24.00 PER HOUR|
|PATHFINDER||GYM- SINGLE COURT||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$25.00/HR||$30.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$24.00 PER HOUR|
|PATHFINDER||CAFETERIA||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$60.00/3 HRS $85 W/KITCHEN||$60.00/3 HRS $85 W/KITCHEN||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|PATHFINDER||WRESTLING ROOM||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$25.00/HR||$25.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$14.00 AN HOUR|
|PATHFINDER||STADIUM LIGHTS||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$50.00/HR||$50.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|JANE TASCH THEATRE||PERFORMANCE||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$150/ SHOW||$300/ SHOW||$0 AN HOUR||$28.00 PER HOUR|
|JANE TASCH THEATRE||REHEARSAL||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$30/DAY||$50/DAY||$0 AN HOUR||$28.00 PER HOUR|
|HIGH SCHOOL||GYM||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$45.00/HR||$60.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$24.00 PER HOUR|
|HIGH SCHOOL||GYM- SINGLE COURT||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$25.00/HR||$30.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$24.00 PER HOUR|
|HIGH SCHOOL||BATTING CAGES||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$25.00/HR||$30.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|HIGH SCHOOL||WRESTLING ROOM||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$25.00/HR||$25.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$14.00 AN HOUR|
|HIGH SCHOOL||COMMONS||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$90.00/3 HRS $125 W/KITCHEN||$90.00/3 HRS $125 W/KITCHEN||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|HIGH SCHOOL||POOL||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$62.50/HR||$62.50/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
|HIGH SCHOOL - AUDITORIUM||PERFORMANCE||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$150/ SHOW||$300/ SHOW||$0 AN HOUR||$28.00 PER HOUR|
|HIGH SCHOOL - AUDITORIUM||REHEARSAL||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$30/DAY||$50/DAY||$0 AN HOUR||$28.00 PER HOUR|
|HIGH SCHOOL||FOOTBALL STADIUM||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$250/DAY OR $35.00/HR||$300/DAY OR $40.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$24.00 PER HOUR|
|HIGH SCHOOL||STADIUM LIGHTS||NO CHARGE or CLASS III RATES DEPENDING ON ACTIVITY||$50.00/HR||$50.00/HR||$0 AN HOUR||$20.00 AN HOUR|
ALL Lifeguard $21/hr** $21/hr** $21/hr** PLUS REIMB EXPALL Theater Tech $22/hr** $22/hr** $22/hr** PLUS REIMB EXPALL Kitchen Use requires Aramark personnel to be present
ALL Late Application Processing Fees NC $20 $20
ALL Moving Fee - Chairs and Tables NC $25 $25
ALL Moving Fee - All other Equipment NC $25 $25
ALL Application Processing Fees NC $10 $10
The charges listed are for room rental only - Personnel costs are not included in this chart.
All Personnel costs incurred by the school as a result of the building/field rental will be reimbursed by the renting party. The renting party will be responsible for any additional charges, such as staying later than scheduled, causing excessive cleanup costs, damages that need to be repaired, etc.
Field Lining $40 flat fee If available.
Unlock/Lock Weekend: $30 flat fee Required when no custodian is on duty and on weekends.